You have to make financial decisions all the time that affect your life now and in the future. Employee benefits when you start a new job. What to do with your 401(k) when you leave a job. Figuring out how much to save. What to do with a bonus or Restricted Stock Units that are about to vest. All these decisions matter, and they can be overwhelming. How do you know if you’re making the right decision? Are you afraid you’re missing opportunities? Do you even know what your finances look like now, let alone the how each new decision will affect them?
How Does It Work?
We start by exploring your relationship to and attitudes about money, and what you envision for your life now and in the future. Only then do we delve into the numbers. For how are we to answer the “How?” without first answering the “Why?” Then we start crafting a general strategy along with small, specific tasks to help you make progress towards the life you want.
Our ongoing relationship means that I am here to help you implement any of the decisions we make, explain or advise on financial decisions as they arise (All. The. Time.), give you a broader perspective on your financial concerns, and truly collaborate with you throughout the year to make sure you continue making progress towards the life you want.
Do you want to know more about how I can help you? What decisions I can help you with? You might be surprised.
What You Can Expect From Me:
- An initial planning process over 4 meetings, during which we discover your money attitudes and stories and possibilities for your future. Then we understand your total financial picture in order to build a bridge from that vision to crafting a plan towards that future.
- Ongoing access (via email, phone, and meetings) to guidance and education on the financial questions facing you.
- A values-based spending exercise, which will help you align your spending (and saving) with your core values
- An Annual Renewal Meeting, when we review our work together in the past year and renew our focus on the year ahead. What progress have you made towards your goals? What have you learned and accomplished? Where are we going now?
- Regular emails (and the occasional card!) to keep on top of and celebrate your life
- Reminders about actions we’ve agreed to take, to help keep you on track
- Secure, simple, online access to all your financial planning information
- Quarterly client newsletter
What I Expect From You:
This process is a collaboration. I might be the expert on financial planning, but you are the expert on you. Only if you share your thoughts and financial information can we meaningfully plan. New information and new decisions will always pop up, and we need to adjust to them. So, I expect you to provide necessary information in a timely manner, and reach out to me when life happens.
I work virtually, so we conduct all our meetings online or on the phone (unless you happen to live near Bellingham, WA. It’s beautiful up here!) and at your convenience.
Cost: $1500-$4000, depending on the complexity of your situation, for the initial comprehensive plan, payable upon delivery. Then an annual fee, paid monthly, of $150-$350/mo, again depending on complexity.
I also offer a stand-alone, one-time comprehensive financial plan. The cost for that is $2000-4500, depending on complexity.
Are your investments tailored to your needs as well?
I also provide Investment Supervisory services for your investment and retirement accounts, including your 401(k) and college savings plans. Because I believe good investing can only be built on the foundation of a well crafted financial plan, investment supervisory services are available only to financial planning clients.