Things I learned at Grace Hopper this year:
- I cannot do basic arithmetic while standing in front of an audience of 200 people. 100 x 1000 really should be doable.
- Yes there is a wrong way to hold the slide clicker, Mr. “You can’t mess it up” A/V guy. Just Watch Me.
Let’s just get this out of the way at the beginning: There is no one right way to combine finances with your romantic partner. The “right” way differs from couple to couple…and over time for the same couple!
You cannot cruise the internet without tripping over articles about the partial government shutdown and the increasingly horrible effects it’s having on many government workers and their finances and their psyches.
If you have a yoga practice, you probably know the importance of having a strong, rooted foundation so that the rest of your body can “fly,” both joyfully and safely. Turns out, personal finances work the same way.Read More
A woman in the audience at Grace Hopper a few weeks ago asked me and my fellow panelists what we thought about FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early). A sea of murmurs and nodding heads showed this was a really popular question.
I think I’m still processing the scale and energy of the 2018 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing. This was my second year attending.
The conference is, obviously, about so much more than how to manage your finances. But it’s the part I care about most, so I viewed most of the conference through that lens. And, as I did last year, I walked away with a better understanding of how women feel about money, what their questions are, and what kind of guidance they want, need, and deserve.
- Should You Exercise Your Options (in a private company)…to Give Your Career More Flexibility?
- Buying a Home. If It Isn’t a “Hell Yes,” Maybe It’s a No?
- It’s the 90th anniversary of the Crash of 1929. Are you ready for the next market crash?
- It’s 20 (40) years until I retire! How do I save and invest for the between-now-and-then? (Video)
- Report from the Women-in-Tech Front (a.k.a. GHC19)