Over many blog posts and over many conversations with clients and colleagues, I’ve trotted out a few different ways of framing and understanding RSUs. I never know what framing is going to hit home, so I thought I’d gather them all into one post. Maybe one thing I write below will finally make you go, “Oooooohhhhh! That’s how they work.” A gal can hope.
In the last month, two of my clients have looked at their paystubs and realized that their 401(k) contributions were going into Roth instead of pre-tax. This wouldn’t be a problem except for the fact that both of these clients had, months earlier, changed their 401(k) contributions away from Roth and into pre-tax. And somehow it didn’t “take.” This caused an administrative pain in the butt and higher-than-planned taxes.
- Maybe want to have kids some day? Start thinking about your fertility now. No, it’s not too early.
- Your Company Is Going Public. The Power of a Good Question. Or 5.
- Have NSOs in a public company? How “leverage” helps you decide when to exercise them.
- This time with feeling: Keep your investing simple to get better returns.
- Is your take-home pay too tiny to live on? That’s okay! We can make it work.