The unique, initial 7-day trading window for all the Airbnb employees after the IPO has now closed. What might we learn from Airbnb’s IPO, even though we still have most of a 6-month lockup left to go? I think plenty.Read More
Airbnb is going public. You have stock options. Likely you also have RSUs and possibly even outright shares of stock. Does it all feel like one inextricable heap? How will you ever create a comprehensive, comprehensible strategy for all of this?Read More
Over many blog posts and over many conversations with clients and colleagues, I’ve trotted out a few different ways of framing and understanding RSUs. I never know what framing is going to hit home, so I thought I’d gather them all into one post. Maybe one thing I write below will finally make you go, “Oooooohhhhh! That’s how they work.” A gal can hope.
You work for a public company. Your RSUs are continuing to vest. The stock market and, more importantly, your company stock have dropped a lot in price. Even if you’ve been comfortably following a strategy with your RSUs, are you feeling a wee bit less certain about the strategy right now?
Things I learned at Grace Hopper this year:
- I cannot do basic arithmetic while standing in front of an audience of 200 people. 100 x 1000 really should be doable.
- Yes there is a wrong way to hold the slide clicker, Mr. “You can’t mess it up” A/V guy. Just Watch Me.
- Maybe want to have kids some day? Start thinking about your fertility now. No, it’s not too early.
- Your Company Is Going Public. The Power of a Good Question. Or 5.
- Have NSOs in a public company? How “leverage” helps you decide when to exercise them.
- This time with feeling: Keep your investing simple to get better returns.
- Is your take-home pay too tiny to live on? That’s okay! We can make it work.